Thursday, August 9, 2007

National Day (and some space at last!)

The first post on a new blog, and it's all about National Day!

Tonight, on the 9th of August 2007, there was a Singaporean gathering at Lidecombe. We made noise, food and had laughter galore. I met new Singaporeans, got to know some new friends better, and talked to many people whose name I didn't ask (they didn't ask for mine either). I don't have the gift of making small talk, but everytime I meet people, I'm slowly honing that skill. :D Yes, I'm making some progress towards being a social human being.

Living in Sydney is gradually becoming second nature. Sometimes, I catch myself thinking "hey, walking down this street no longer feels alien!" as I walk the streets of Glebe. Then I just feel happy and sad in that same instant. Happy that I'm settling down, sad that I'm not missing Singapore (enough) and sad that this new experience no longer feels new.

Of all things, I don't want to waste this Australian experience. It's a rare thing to be sponsored to go overseas to study. I should make full use of this opportunity and not let days slip by like in Singapore.

Go out, talk to people, do things.... It's becoming a mantra to follow from today.

As Singapore celebrates her birthday and look to the future, so too should I. Coming back to Singapore is not unthinkable. There won't be another place that I can so comfortably call home.

No comments: